It feels like summer is easing in early this year; time to stitch up some new tops and skirts to accomodate the warmer weather. The girls and I have been getting together for about an hour or so, two days a week, and find that we get a lot accomplished following this "scheduled" plan of action. We are all busy with different things, so it's nice to have a set time to just sit and sew. They're still learning (aren't we always?) and they like it when I'm on the spot for questions and demos now that they have entered zipper and buttonhole territory, among other sewing challenges.
This 'summer smock' was something I just finished. A lesson on tucks. Although it didn't really start out that way. I decided to insert a tucked panel, AFTER I cut this out. Yes, it was an afterthought. One that actually worked out! I started with an older pattern, one I've made many times, mostly out of linen or chambray. I like this top because it 's casual and loose; comfortable for around the house and working in the yard.
Here's the pattern. Which now looks nothing like what I ended up with, but the back is the same. I also shortened the sleeves to 3/4" length, because I don't like to keep pushing them up while I'm working. For the neckline, I cut out a square self-faced yoke and stitched it over the top of the tucked portion. Somehow, it all went together beautifully.
Please excuse my figure model. I forgot to make allowances for those shoulders. Mine are not quite so "impressive", so this is a tad wide at the neckline. Making notes for next time, because I see more of these in my future.