The sewing studio is coming together. The paint is dry and the furniture is being moved back in. I admit there's been a teensy bit of procrastination during this process as I was rather enjoying the 'blank slate' look a little too much. After all, an empty room is full of dreamy possibilities! It makes my knees weak and my mind wanders. During this think-time though, a few changes were made and I'm quite happy with the results. I'll do a more in-depth show-and-tell when everything is finally done. I know. I said that a few years ago--but I really mean it this time!
Now I am endeavoring to find homes for all the bits and bobs, buttons and bobbins, and the rest of my kit and caboodle. This is currently scattered about the house and filling a downstairs bath tub. Which is mildly embaressing, but I am thoroughly purging every box, bin and bag and reorganizing things for maximum efficiency. Maximum efficiency rocks in my world. It saves time searching and sometimes saves my sanity. I like knowing where things are; having a place for everything and everything in it's place. That sort of thing. I'm funny that way.
Oh, that reminds me of a cool discovery I made while wandering around the bath section at Target the other day. Check out this handy table-top "scissor stand". I love it. It's metal and weighted on the bottom with a rubber grip so it's not tipsy. I suppose one could use it for pens and pencils too, or even toothbrushes--but only if one had no imagination.
I made a new valance cut from old curtains in the spirit of "Use What You Have" and in keeping my cost factor in check, for it took no less than five panels. Both windows are side-by-side and enormous. The cove ceiling is also high making the overall scale of the room large, so I kept the same 5-inch rod with an 18-inch drop. The old valance was cute, but a bit heavy and dark. This one, I know, is not terribly exciting in contrast, but I wanted the background of the room neutral and this suits the purpose of hiding mini-blinds when they're drawn up and helps to soften hard edges at the same time. The fabric is tufted cotton, so it does have that small detail of textural interest anyway. It works well enough.
So that's it for today. All is well and good. I'm motivated and working on getting everything done. But, inevitably life gets busy and pulls me in a dozen differnet directions. A family reunion out of town. Trips to the coast. Last week it was horse camp. Fun for sure, but I lose my momentum. And then I looked out the kitchen window this morning and saw all this lovliness.
And I'm off and running again. No deadlines on the room. It will get done when it gets done I guess. Ta Ta for now....