I just put the finishing touches on this pair of travel pillows that will be part of a raffle to help raise funds for a fellow home schooler and her daughter who will be traveling to England this summer to participate in a Shakespeare theater group.
This had been a dream of theirs for many years, so I designed the pillows with those sentiments in mind. For the embroidery, I used a simple font (40 pt. perpetua) reversed it, and printed it out on paper. Then I traced over it with a transfer pen and ironed it onto the fabric. Three strands of embroidery floss worked perfectly.
If you use more than that it will be difficult to define the detail of the letters. Varying the colors gives the appearance of old type and just makes it more interesting, I think. This was a fun project. In the past I've added tiny stitched messages like this to quilts, and even clothing.
Just think of the possibilities!