This is one of our favorite fall treats and a super simple recipe to use when baking with children. This recipe makes about 3 dozen medium-sized cookies. They are light, sweet and crunchy and get their golden color from cornmeal. The whole house wafts with cinnamon when you bake these too. Here's my recipe:
HARVEST MOON COOKIES
Into the mixer bowl combine:
1-1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Into another bowl combine:
1-1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Into a sandwich-size plastic bag:
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
*Lightly grease cookie sheets if they aren't the non-stick variety.*
1. Cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla until blended.
2. Gradually add dry mixture until soft dough forms.
3. Drop dollups of dough onto a lightly floured surface; roll into 2" balls.
4. Toss & coat balls in cinnamon-sugar mixture inside plastic bag.
5. Place balls on cookie sheets about 3" apart.
6. Flatten gently to 1/4" with bottom of a glass.
7. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden around the edges.
8. Cool for 2-3 minutes before removing to cooling rack.
9. Store in airtight containor when completely cooled.